Today, in broad daylight in front of Marseille train station, two young women – 21 and 20 years old – were murdered by a solitary man armed with a knife.
“Allah akbar!”, the man cried, before slitting the throat of one woman and fatally stabbing the other. He was shot dead by patrolling soldiers. Swiftly identified, it turns out that he was known to police for “common crimes.”
The two young women were cousins and students to become qualified nurses. They had gone to Marseille to celebrate a birthday with friends.
Since 2015, more than 230 people in France have been killed in terrorist attacks.
After the Charlie Hebdo massacre of January 2015, followed by the November 2015 attacks in which 130 people were killed and hundreds of others wounded – both attacks occurred in Paris – France is under a nationwide state of emergency.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe in Edmonton, Canada, another terrorism attack occurred on this same day.
RECENT TERROR ATTACKS IN FRANCE (this taken from the BBC)
- 7-9 Jan 2015 – Two Islamist gunmen storm the Paris offices of satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 17 people. Another Islamist militant kills a policewoman the next day and takes hostages at a Jewish supermarket in Paris. Four hostages are killed before police shoot the gunman dead. The other two gunmen are cornered and killed by police in a siege
- 13 Nov 2015 – IS jihadists armed with bombs and assault rifles attack Paris, targeting the national stadium, cafes and Bataclan concert hall. The co-ordinated assault leaves 130 people dead, and more than 350 wounded
- 13 Jun 2016 – A knife-wielding jihadist kills a police officer and his partner at their home in Magnanville, west of Paris. He declares allegiance to IS, and police later kill him
- 14 Jul 2016 – A huge truck mows down a crowd of people on the Nice beachfront during Bastille Day celebrations, killing 86. IS claims the attack – by a Tunisian-born driver, later shot dead by police
- 26 Jul 2016 – Two attackers slits the throat of a priest at his church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray, in Normandy. They are shot dead by police.
- 3 Feb 2017 – A machete-wielding Egyptian man shouting “Allahu akbar” attacks French soldiers at Paris’s Louvre Museum – he is shot and wounded.
- 20 Apr 2017 – A known terror suspect opens fire at police on the Champs Elysees in Paris, killing one and wounding two. He is shot dead – and the assault is claimed by ISIS.