The weather here is glorious – cold, dry and sunny. Unfortunately there’s an air pollution spike and as a result all public transportation was free today … as well as free resident car parking. So I took advantage of the free metro to go home for lunch and fetch my camera. For my dessert, I picked up this religieuse from the boulangerie. After work I jumped on the free metro again and headed over to the Champs-Elysées to see the Christmas lights. Here are some random shots.
Night photography isn’t easy. It entails long exposures, a tripod, and lots of fiddling with your settings (aperture and shutter speed), which I can’t be bothered to do. So, again, I apologize for the less-than-sharp images. Here, I’m basically strolling down the “Champs” at 7 pm tonight and enjoying the cold, clear weather.
WATCH OUT FOR PICKPOCKETS! I can’t stress this enough. The Champs-Elysées is a pickpockets’ paradise. Here are two of them here below, Romanian gypsies walking in front of me. They turned around, saw me taking a photo, and demanded money. “In your dreams,” I said and walked on. They are quite brazen. Be even more brazen. Show them who’s boss.
It’s important to wear your handbag with the long strap crossed diagonally across your chest. Or a short-strapped one with the purse tucked under your arm. The worst is to walk with your handbag dangling from your hand as it could be snatched by thieves on a scooter.
- Keep your wallet at the bottom of your purse.
- Never hang your purse on the back of a chair in a public place, where it’s out of your sight. Keep it on your lap. If you must put it on the floor, tuck the strap under your thigh, or at least put the chair leg through it.
- Be sure your purse is in front of you as you enter revolving doors, board trains, etc.
- Never set your purse down in a shop and turn your attention elsewhere.
- In public restrooms, loop your bag’s strap around the hook and keep your eye on the bag. Dropped coins in the stall beside could be a distraction ruse.
- To prevent a drive-by bag snatch, walk far from the curb, on the side of the street towards traffic.
- Don’t be fooled at outdoor cafes, where the space is bordered by potted plants. Thieves can reach in between the plants and grab your bag.